Translate

Friday, February 27, 2015

     In Berkley just outside of Oakland Peoples homes rest on top the water. There is a  small pub close to the docks that has a fun type of entertainment. They have a band of pirate musicians singing sea songs. A couple band members playing the banjo. A welcome sound that I grew up listening to. You can tell that some of the locals go there a lot before setting sail or may never leave this bay and their small pub. I had a grin ear to ear watching the pirates play their music and some older people dancing to the rhythm. The food was good fresh sea food caught close to home.
     My friend and I stayed at a motel close to the docs and caught one crab that had to be thrown back. As I stood on the doc behind the motel where many artist have stayed, I looked towards some metal structures far on the other side. My friend Macsen with a glimmer in his eye explained to me that Steven Spielberg used those structures for inspiration in his Ewok that movie he produced. This made me wounder how Spielberg's mind can dream up a story by gazing at man made structures.  Being able to dream while he was awake.
     My short stay in Oakland was amazing and truly  inspiring.  I was able to visit a good friend named Rian which had moved there from Seattle a few years back. Both Ryan and Macsen had moved to big cities when young. I stayed in our home town to help my parents and then had a family. This was all new and surreal to me.
     Looking at this photo again, it brings back that newness and wounder I experienced here. It brings me a spirit of inspiration that I need to hold close so I do not loose it. How great would it be to live on a boat and explore new areas by sea? Or dream up a movie while having a cup of coffee and gazing across a bay.